Portland State's Shattuck Hall: Portland, OR
Charles Ingram Photography
Originally built as an elementary school in 1915, Shattuck Hall now provides a learning laboratory for architecture students. An $11.7 million renovation boosted energy performance with the addition of radiant ceiling panels and daylighting. Flexible spaces expanded the building's functions without increasing its size or renovation budget. The design team left building systems such as ductwork and concrete columns exposed to serve as teaching tools for students.