Events Planned for High Performance Building Week 2017
ASHRAE, along with the rest of the High Performance Building Coalition, is heading to Capitol Hill this week to celebrate the annual High Performance Building Week.
HPB Week 2017 started Monday and ends Friday in Washington, D.C. The weeklong event’s goal is to advance the Coalition’s priorities and further educate Congress on how to improve existing and future buildings’ performances.
Representatives and staff members from participating High Performance Building Coalition organizations, including ASHRAE, are set to participate in HPB Week and meet with members of the High Performance Building Congressional Caucus and its co-Chairs, Congressman David McKinley, P.E. (R-WV) and Congressman Peter Welch (D-VT) throughout the week.
The week’s events address various topics such as an update from the National Institute of Building Sciences’ Consultative Council about the built-industry’s needs during a congressional briefing as well as the built-industry’s impact on national economics.
HPB Week 2017’s scheduled events include:
Congressional Briefing: Achieving a High-Performance Built Environment: Findings and Recommendations from the Consultative Council
- When: noon – 1 p.m. on Tuesday
- Where: 122 Cannon House Office Building
- What: The built-industry is the foundation of the United States’ economy. The National Institute of Building Sciences’ Consultative Council is scheduled to present its 2016 Moving Forward Report during the briefing. The report identifies two of the industry’s challenges: building a strong workforce and effectively using limited water resources.
High Performance Building Coalition Day on the Hill
- When: 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday
- Where: Capitol Hill
- What: High Performance Building Coalition members are meeting with High Performance Building Congressional Caucus members and their staff on Capitol Hill.
- Those interested in participating are required to contact Joseph Eaves, chair of the Coalition's policy committee.
- When: 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. on Wednesday
- Where: 101 Constitution Avenue, Suite 825 East, Washington, DC 20001
- What: High Performance Building Congressional Caucus’ co-Chairs Congressman David McKinley, P.E. (R-WV) and Congressman Peter Welch (D-VT) are expected to welcome the guests.
- An RSVP is requested for this event.
Congressional Briefing: The Critical Role Buildings Play in America’s Infrastructure
- When: noon – 1 p.m. on Thursday
- Where: 2103 Rayburn House Office Building
- What: The critical role buildings play in the United States’ infrastructure is the briefing’s focus, and discussion is expected to center on ways to incorporate and retrofit high performance systems into existing and older buildings. Scheduled presenters include: U.S. Department of Energy Building Technologies Office Director David Nemtzow, General Services Administration’s Office of High Performance Green Buildings Director Kevin Kampschroer, and American Institute of Architects’ Director of Federal Relations Christina Mason.
- An RSVP is requested for the event.
More than 200 trade associations, manufacturers, nonprofits, and standards-developing organizations are part of the High Performance Building Coalition, which ASHRAE founded.
For more information about the Coalition and HPB Week 2017, click here.